06 June 2008

Hippocratic Oath or Hypocritical

During oath-taking ceremonies of medical professionals, the modern version of hippocratic oath is sworn to with great pride usually because of the fact that we were able to pass a difficult board exam, not to mention a difficult training. Sad to say, during practice of most medical professionals nowadays, it seems to me, that most of the lines sworn before, are already forgotten by most of our colleagues.
Take for example “I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures that are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism”, nowadays, what are we doing, what do you see?
Take another line or phrase “I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know” Again, what are we doing, and what do you see?
And another phrase “I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability” Again, what are we doing and what do you see?
Finally, the last phrase “...may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter...” Again, do we still see the hippocratic oath in our lives? Or are we now one of those who have become hypocritical? What do you see...

No comments: